Accidents and emergency situations can arise anywhere unpredictably; road traffic accidents, fire in homes and buildings etc. These types of accidents pose a great threat to human life. Henceforth, advancements are being continuously made by the rescue departments in upgrading the kind of search and rescue equipment suppliers, along with better training of security personnel. Providing near to perfect and timely response in such situations is mandatory as it takes only seconds for mishaps to happen and endanger human life.
Types of search and rescue
Unfortunate incidents can happen on any type of landscape in any type of weather. Keeping the unpredictable nature of such accidents the rescue teams should be prepared accordingly.
- Mountain rescue; related to rescue operations in mountainous terrain and rugged landscape
- Cave rescue; mostly conducted for rescuing lost cave explorers
- Urban search and rescue; rescue of persons from collapsed buildings or other urban and industrial entrapments
- Combat search and rescue; operations usually carried out in war situations or near combat zones
- Maritime search and rescue; carried out at sea to save sailors and passengers in distress, or the survivors of downed aircraft
Basic rescue equipment
From a variety of search and rescue equipment being available in the market, the basic tools include:
- Controlled impact rescue tool; which is usually a portable rapid concrete-breaching technology, applying a concentrated shock load into the concrete
- Evacuation harness; is a lightweight evacuation seat. The split center piece of the triangle design conforms to the wearer and is surprisingly comfortable
- USAR search marking kit; is designed to carry all of the marking tools you need during a search operation. The main holster pocket holds an upside-down marking paint can. Mounted below the holster are two flagging tape dispensers for different color tapes
- Radio chest harness; for carrying portable radio, cell phone, GPS, portable weather monitors etc.
- Hand held video system
- Medical portion of equipment; must include tool for the provision of sophisticated medical and first aid treatment to the victims. The items mostly include medicines, intravenous fluids, tracheal tubes, defibrillators, burn treatment supplies, bone saws and scalpels
- Telescopic cameras with heat detecting sensors and seismic listening devices
- Logistics; consists of maintenance equipment for the team, that includes sleeping bags, cots, food and water, portable toilets, gloves, earplugs, kneepads, respirators and protective eyewear
One can encounter a hazardous accident anywhere, unexpectedly. The emergency could be in the form of road traffic accident, building collapse or fire at workplace or home. The rescue organizations are built for the purpose of being ready all the time to respond to such emergencies. To be able to provide a responsive evacuation or management in an emergency situation, the rescue team has a set of useful search and rescue equipment, according to the type of emergency based on area and severity e.g. communication devices, medical kits (defibrillators, intravenous fluids, scalpels), ropes and harnesses, utility scissors, beacon kit, life jackets, knee pads, dry suits, fire extinguishers etc. Browse this website to find out more details.